[Bf-funboard] Blender UI redesign doc

ph bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:43:38 +0200

Hi Ton,

>>Usage of gradients make buttons stand out more... but here a matter of
taste applies as well. Is a good candidate for a user definable option.<<

as long as it is an option, I am totally satisfied. (:

  But I don't really know if it's a matter of taste. It is indeed a matter
of taste wether one finds the new buttons beautiful or not. Agreed, I mean,
I find them nice too. But there is a point of view besides beauty. The
question is about transporting necessary visual data through the eyes while
working. I am not an expert in this, but every component of a picture
transports information which has to be 'decrypted' by the brain in order to
get recognized. Unnecessary workload has impacts here.

  The buttons do stand out more, that's right, but on the other hand they
put the text on an uneven background (regarding contrast) and since they
already have a clear lighted shape and a well chosen color, I don't know if
the profit is higher than the cost.

  Since I happen to be media designer (not wannabe anymore, remembering the
first conference), I have some knowledge  about readability and recognition
of shapes. Tiny things can influence a lot (typographic rules are a good
example). And most influences in- or decrease efficiency on a subconscious
level. When I watch myself, I experience that the text of the buttons still
is the major signal to distinguish the button. So I would tend to not
obscure it the least. Not even by a subtle gradient.

But as an option, so be it (:

Haunt_House