[Bf-funboard] Why not a new default scene

Tomas Golembiovsky bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:52:44 +0200

Stephane SOPPERA wrote:
> If you still want to see the splash screen at Blender startup, use an
> older version of blender to build your default scene.

I noticed that something is missing when I saved my user defaults, but
couldn't find out what ;-). Can somebody tell me a good reason why it's
missing?

Matt Ebb wrote:
>>And furthermore:
>>
>> * Useful screen names
>> * One modelling scene and one  sequencer scene
>

> I agree with this. The default .b.blend should have a bunch of different
> layouts, *with meaningful names*. Experienced users can modify their own,
> but it would be nice for newbies to explore the different functionality
> provided without getting into the details. I don't think having pre-built
> animations etc. in the .b.blend is a good idea - that can be done in more
> depth with good demo files. A nice basic cube/plane, light, material, world
> is good though so at least there's some sort of result when they press
> render for the first time.
>
> You could have things like
> Fullscreen (horizontal)
> Fullscreen (vertical)
> 4-view
> Modelling
> Animation
> Sequencing
> Logic Editing
> UV Editing
>
> screens all set up and tweaked nicely already.
>
> Anything but the "Screen.001" naming would be an improvement, and having
> more descriptive names would make it more likely for the user to explore the
> different layouts and see what Blender has to offer.
>
> "Hmm, this combo box says Modelling. I wonder what else you can do in
> Blender besides modelling?" *click*

Good ideas boys. And maybe there can be small text window (on the screen
that will be displayad as first - probably Modeling), which would
contain some "Starting tips" and small help, some kays or anything that
would help newbies to start.

--

Tomas Golembiovsky

WEB: nyoxi.mysteria.cz
ICQ: 346980487

Rule of Accuracy

When working toward the solution of a problem, it always
helps if you know the answer. Corollary - Provided, of
course, that you know there is a problem.