[Bf-funboard] Saving User Settings

Kent Mein bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:58:57 -0500

> I agree that 3D software is complex and all your suggestions on
> documentation seem
> like good ones to me.
>
> I guess here are my questions regarding CTRL-U:
>
> First, I am unsure of the value of saving a model as part of the default
> startup.  But I am
> new to 3D - so maybe someone can fill me in.  Is it that somebody
> intentionally made
> this function so that it saves the model too, or was it supposed to be a
> function to
> specifically save user settings - and the easiest way to program it was to
> just save
> everything?

Well for example it makes sense for a lighting scheme.  Might not
make sense for your newly modeled car.  It also makes sense for say a
library of textures you have setup.  The question is where do you
draw the line.  Some people want it all some people don't.  While its
some what of a pain, blender makes it easy just start from your defaults
modify them and then save them with control-u.

I agree its sometimes a pain.  It would be great if I could say
working on my latest blend file decide I'm on my laptop I want to
set it to not use the number pad for the various views. control-u
and everything is fine (I didn't just add my latest work to my default
environment and I didn't have to quit to make the change)  This would
also become more of an issue when say we get to the point where a
user could redefine their own hot keys for various functions.

Things get further complicated by loading a different blend file
where what exactly is your UI is redefined somewhat.

Does anyone actually know if there are UI elements that do not get
overridden by a blend file?

Kent
--
mein@cs.umn.edu