[Bf-funboard] Why not a new default scene

Matt Ebb bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:22:25 +1000

> And furthermore:
>
>  * Useful screen names
>  * One modelling scene and one  sequencer scene

I agree with this. The default .b.blend should have a bunch of different
layouts, *with meaningful names*. Experienced users can modify their own,
but it would be nice for newbies to explore the different functionality
provided without getting into the details. I don't think having pre-built
animations etc. in the .b.blend is a good idea - that can be done in more
depth with good demo files. A nice basic cube/plane, light, material, world
is good though so at least there's some sort of result when they press
render for the first time.

You could have things like
Fullscreen (horizontal)
Fullscreen (vertical)
4-view
Modelling
Animation
Sequencing
Logic Editing
UV Editing

screens all set up and tweaked nicely already.

Anything but the "Screen.001" naming would be an improvement, and having
more descriptive names would make it more likely for the user to explore the
different layouts and see what Blender has to offer.

"Hmm, this combo box says Modelling. I wonder what else you can do in
Blender besides modelling?" *click*