[Bf-funboard] Modes & modes

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:21:11 +0200

Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Do you mean:
>>
>> tool -> hotkey
>> mode -> menu
>>
>> ?
>>
>> (It should be clear, that tool or mode is a question of feel. Because
>> a Tool (like rectangular selection) establishes a mode.)
>

> Not really... a mode is sticky, permanent. After one border-select in
> Blender the situation is back to normal. This is what 'non-modality'
> defines. I think. :)
> In photoshop all tools in the main toolbar are real modes. In Blender
> almost all tools are not, but temporal loops that return to normal.
> This is a very important distinction, influencing workflow a lot.

A mode is when gestures (keys, clicks, mouse-movement ...) have
special/changed meaning.

With border-select the mode ends with the actual selection-action,
whereas with classical tools like in Photoshop, you switch tools.

So things like border-select are modal, but feel very natural because
with the completion of action the mode is left.

Talking about modes vs tools could be misleading. Could we use a
distinction between persistent modes (must be explicitly terminated) and
auto-termination (must have nicer name!) modes? Examples:
proportional-vertex-editing and border-select.

Hope to not confuse people ...

And now I think loop-select should behave like border-select (for
consistency). Press key (or an icon), make your one seletion and exit.
Multiple selection? No problem: just repeat, as the selection is kept
anyway. Don't know how it is currently implemented.

Has anybody thought about face-loop selection?

---
Thorsten Wilms