[Bf-funboard] Maya experience, anyone?

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:01:17 +0200

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for the Maya review. Very good to have a report from someone's
perception when he first uses it. It clearly points us to the weakest
aspect of Blender; the 'easy to learn' one.

The current UI discussions and research are reflecting most of your
hints. Check for example the thread "exanding the menus" from august 9
here.

> - create well-structured pull-down menus (already worked on, I think)

Yep, aim is to have the pull-down menu system displaying the full
toolset. No hidden hotkeys anymore!

> - provide bigger and more meaningful icons for certain tools; try to
> create
> icons that the user can immediately associate with the task at hand

Toolbar concept; is being worked on.

> - include a searchable online help; start out with a clean reference
> and a
> search feature; other contents can be added lateron, possible in
> topic-speicific FAQ sections

Our docboard likes to work on it... and I know several developers tried
something in this direction as well. It's a *load* of work though.

> - replace the current button window with something more
> straight-forward: keep
> the bits and pieces of settings and information related to a single
> object
> closer together and seperate them more cleanly from global, scene-wide
> settings (a possible start would be a huge gap in the button bar that
> seperates the two topics).

Yep. Part of the make-over of the buttons.

Currently this UI work seems to have stalled a bit, but it's mainly
because I didn't have time to write the report based on all discussions
& research that has been done now... especially using IRC, emails and
the forums at blender.org.
This report was scheduled for last week... I'll do my best! ;-)

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org