[Bf-funboard] Re: Use idle online internet computers as a distributed rendering

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:39:08 +0200

Hi,

> Hi Ton,
>
> This is my last post on this subject.

Urm... what does that mean? I would really like to encourage people to
pursue development of a good distributed rendering system. Whether or
not it will be internet based is more of a technical detail... it can
be included in the specs, but the initial emphasis (roadmap) can still
be to make it work in a controlled local environment first. This is
what our artists currently need most.

This mailing list is not really meant to discuss implementation or
technical design. It also doesn't make a lot of sense to pin down such
requirements for a distributed rendering system when nobody actually
takes the responsibility to execute it.

If you are motivated to work on this project, you have all freedom to
define your specifications yourself. Then use this mailing list to get
feedback from Blender users about the functionality it offers.
For inclusion in our 'official' distribution, having support from the
people here then is a basic condition, but it should not stop you from
working on your own ideas. Sometimes presenting people a working
solution really helps to get acknowledged. :)

Also!
There are at least 2 other projects here about this topic:
http://projects.blender.org/projects/networkrender/
http://projects.blender.org/projects/nitrox/
You might contact them, to find if they're interested to work with you.
If you need technical feedback (or just want to hint developers) the
information you sent below really belongs to our developers mailing
list, bf-committers@blender.org.

BTW: If you like to use our projects site, you only have to ask me! All
projects related to 3D and/or Blender are welcome there.

Thanks,

-Ton-