[Bf-funboard] solid wee need ya back soon

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:26:11 +0200

Hi,

Most important, learn to see through the marketing blahblah of such =20
press releases. I've been involved with making such texts before, so I =20=

know! :)
By default the companies try to mask their weak points, suggest a lot =20=

more than actually is said, and exaggerate things enormously.

Here a few examples from the press release:

"gameSpace provides everything needed for start to finish game content  =20=

   creation."

  -> You can make models and characters for games with with it.

"enabling them to very quickly create stunning, professional-level =20
graphics"

  -> Attracting mediocre artists... because *now* they can!

"The immersive first-person-perspective environment will be instantly =20=

familiar to game players,"

  -> Truespace only has one 3d window.

=93This is what the independent game developer=92s community has been =20=

waiting for"

  -> Caligari desperately seeks a new market.

And finally the obligatory quote:
=93No one wants to trade off power for price,=94 said Roman Ormandy, =20
founder and president of Caligari. =93You shouldn=92t have to cobble =20
together a bunch of shareware products or fight your way through a =20
hard-to-learn interface."

  -> argh, Blender is taking away our marketshare!

-Ton-