[Bf-funboard] Re: Scripts in UI

Stephen Swaney bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 07 Sep 2003 21:50:22 -0500

Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The disadvantage of cross-posting is that discussions go in parallel.
> Most contributions to this topic were in the other list, the
> bf-committers one.

This is just one of the disadvantages of using a mailing list for
development discussions.

Email works great for broadcast messages or simple point discussions
like "what time should we have lunch?"  For more complicated dialogs, it
becomes hard to follow the various threads in a discussion, the quoting
gets out of control so you can never tell who said what and it is
difficult to summarize the results.  Browsing through email to follow a
historical discussion is a multi-threaded hell.

I *really* think a better vehicle for design discussions is a wiki.
With a wiki, all the comments can appear on the same page, it's easy to
branch off threads of discussion without losing them.  It also becomes
easy to condense, refactor and summarize a discussion.  It becomes a
web-accessible living document.

If you have no idea what a wiki is or what I could possibly be talking
about, check out the WikiWikiWeb link here:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney@swbell.net