[Bf-funboard] Buttons reorganisation

Desoto bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:42:22 -0500

I think your new layout is great with the exception of one thing:

The material selection drop down cannot be put back into the header
because the headers are now supposed to fit better in the vertical
layout.  I do believe there is room for the button in your redesign
however.  I'd be please to see more screen shots if they're available.

I was actually thinking about suggesting this myself, and I began doing
some toying around.  One panel that needs a bit of work is in the object
buttons panel.  None of the buttons line up properly or have consistent
spacing.

One further suggestion I have in regard to rearranging buttons is that
the layer buttons be made in to five groups of four instead of four
groups of five like so:

http://blender.spaceisbig.com/layer_buttons.jpg

instead of:

[][][][][] [][][][][]
[][][][][] [][][][][]

The spacing in ascii text is obviously exaggerated in the latter
example, but I don't have time at the moment to produce a screen shot of
the old setup.

I believe the four groups of five will make it easier for users to
organize their layers and remember where they put things..but to aid in
this even further I propose that layer buttons should alter their color
based on whether or not there is content on the  layer.  Thus if you had
something on layer five for example, the layer button in the header
might change hues slightly to provide visual feedback.

I haven't had the chance yet to recode the layer buttons for the 3d view
port headers but I do plan to just to show screens to you guys and here
what you have to say about it.  I'm also planning on showing people in
blenderchat and on blender.org.

The approach I've taken to modifying the layer button code is to
dispense of the for-loop and instead hard code the positions of the
buttons.  The loop was dividing four times, multiplying a few times, and
adding a few times for every button drawn, which seemed a bit excessive.
  The end result was that any time a single button changed, as with a
mouseover event, all 20 buttons were redrawn, which would result in 80
divisions, 24 multiplications, and 24 additions.  And thats every single
  time the state of any button changes. Simply moving the mouse across
the buttons would yield several hundred simple arithmetic operations
that aren't necessary at all.  Sure they're blazing fast but I put the
20 lines of code in by hand instead of in a loop, and in my opinion its
easier to read and change, as well as being faster to draw.  Thats just
my two cents.  I've lowered the load to twenty operations, one addition
per button, every time the buttons redraw, as compared to 128.  It may
not be much but its something! :D

Anyhow..its getting late and nobody will read this for a few days so I'm
going to head to bed.  I think that a button reorganization is in order,
not because the buttons are badly positioned now, but because I think if
we put our heads together we can do even better, and make even more
people happy.  I hope those words encourage a few of you to contribute
your thoughts.  Thanks!

Desoto