[Bf-funboard] Very humble suggestion

William Reynish bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:05:58 +0100 (CET)

Why don't you just please welcome a suggestion? I know
that people probably WILL find out what "Grabber"
means, but most people won't initially know what this
command does.

It is just very small suggestion to make it more
obvious what a very extremely important command does.

--- Stephen Swaney <sswaney@swbell.net> wrote: >
William Reynish wrote:

> > I have a very humble suggestion to make about the
> > toolbox menu. Currently it displays the g key
> action
> > as "Grabber" wich is confusing I think. It sounds
> like
> > you are adding a little grabber object or
> something.
>
> If you were adding something, it would be under the
> 'Add'
> menu.

Well duh, but that wasn't the point. The point is that
"Grabber" doesn't make you think of moving an object.

> > I propose we call it "Grab/Move" or "Move/Grab".
> Move
> > because that is what it actually doeas, and Grab
> so
> > that we can remember the hotkey G.
>
> In English, adding the suffix 'er' to a verb gives
> the
> meaning of someone or something who does the verb.
>
> Run + er = runner - someone who runs.
> Grab + er = grabber - something that grabs

Yes exactly. You said it. "SOMETHING that grabs". It
sounds like a THING that grabs. What the command does
is it just moves the selected object, it doesn't add
any grabber of sorts.

> > This will make learning Blender very very slightly
> > easier.
>
> Hmmm.  If people are falling down over this, they
> will skin their knees badly when it comes to
> tricky stuff like vertices, edges and faces.

No, you are wrong. People will only skin their knees
when they encounter operations wich names/usability is
illogical. However complicated it gets, if the names
and interface is logically laid out, users can tackle
everything.
However much you know about 3D, you can still be
confused if a really strange, unknown or illogical
term is used.

Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan