[Bf-funboard] Re: Flat Widget Design / Killjoy

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:17:20 +0200

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:16:26PM +0200, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:

> Mainly cos I have to disagree
> about the non distracting part (ask typographers about thick lines and
> such) and the flat part (ask UI designers about buttons looking like
> something except a button). [Sorry for the killjoy, but you just have
> to check any serious reference in the field]

So basicaly you say my work sucks, and that I should do some
research to find out why >-(

And you do this not in a direct reply, but indirect.

I think that you should use your eyes and see, instead of relying
on what you've read somewhere. And you have to learn how to be fair
in criticizing.

I'm a design-technical-assistant (rough translation). That means I'm
a DTP profesional, allthough without real job experience, because
I went to university. My graphic design teacher was a typographer!

But since that doesn't make me an expert, I would be very happy,
if you could step down from your podest and tell me mere mortal, what's
exactly the problem with thick lines?

See, option or radio buttons have to change appearence to indicate
their state. Every posibility to this involves something that calls
for attention and could therefor be distracting.
I don't think that thick lines are worse than changing color, flipping
contrast or changing the shape.
I used thick lines for my _experiment_, because I wanted to keep it flat
and to not have to change the contrast (text/ground).

And now to the buttons:
Do you relay think, anybody would have problems to identify the flat
widgets as manipulatable? How do you think pre 3d-look GUIs worked?
And about the widgets not looking like buttons: They do, but in an
iconographic way!

About checking any serious reference in the field:
I've read
- some DIN norms on software ergonomics
- Jef Raskin: The Humane Interface
- Alan Cooper: About Face 2.0
- Tog on Interface
- (somewhat related) Donals A. Norman: The design of Everyday Things
- various articles and parts of other books

Sure, pseudo 3d buttons make it very clear that they can be clicked.
But the flat design has the advantage of less visual complexity.

But maybe you can point me to something enlightening, so I can
see my design is just bad? You could even use your great knowledge
to create a superior design!

---
Thorsten