[Bf-funboard] Please let's take a break!

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:51:28 +0200

Hi,

Obviously the UI is the core of Blender, and deserves feedback and good
design.

Nevertheless, there are only few people actually working on it, and it
is getting totally out of control to digest the contrinutions here.
Please realize this:

-> most of the work I do is technically and enabling. I am bothering
that it should not crash, it should have all functionality of old
Blenders, and it should be compatible (like file reading). The code has
to be clean, flexible, and allow other to pick up UI work much more
easy than before.

-> what you see now is a *first* version. I spent 3 weeks now mostly
restructuring and adding basic functionality, and only a short time was
spent on actual design.

-> even when we release, it's the *first* step of the UI project.

-> too many cooks spoil the diner. Please allow me the credits to make
quick decisions for issues. There are 100s of them, and waiting for
each detail to be sorted out makes no sense. It's an itterative process.

In the past weeks I needed feedback on several issues, but the
maillists were flooded that much that hardly anyone noticed. I mailed a
timeline proposal that was ignored. I hesitated mailing questions for
that reason, and that's not good either.

Currently I am mostly finishing & cleaning up stuff, testing, and try
to get half finished parts completed (like pulldown menus). In the
meantime, for the next 1 or 2 weeks, I'll put time in making a more
elaborate roadmap, with agenda points for when issues are being worked
at, and what exactly we need feedback on and research for.

For now you can help me best by limiting messages here to:
- posting worked out proposals (html doc, mockup, etc)
- giving feedback on this, or on actual requests for feedback from a
coder or from me.

Thanks!

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org