[Bf-funboard] William's ideas

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:37:29 +0200

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 03:37:01PM +1000, Matt Ebb wrote:

> As long as the menus are there by dedault, it's not a big deal to add this.
> Thorsten is right about the disclusure triangle being somewhat abused here
> though :). I can implement it with the triangle for now, but can someone
> think of a better icon? Groo's sideways triangle ideas are good, but they'd
> need to look different to the disclosure triangles to prevent confusion. Can
> someone come up with a mockup for this icon?

I will see what I can do, but please don't implement it with disclosure
triangle!

> >> Proposal 5 - include Grab, Rotate and Scale in menus
> >> http://www.shadeless.dk/request5.jpg

> A solution could be to warp the pointer to
> near the object's location, or to the center of the window, or something,
> when the option is selected but that could be annoying.

For warping the pointer: How about drawing a bright, straight line (a trail)
from the start to the end position? It could appear for a very short time and
then the start of the line could move to it's end, like a collpasing bridge.

> One idea though, until then, may be to include a very small
> (<75KB or so?) PDF in the Blender package, with some basic introductions. It
> would of course have to be written by someone though.

Haunt_House signaled some willingness to provide some kind of basic instruction.
However, I would much prefer HTML. But if it has to be PDF, it could be wise
to introduce a rule, that Blender PDFs have to created with OpenOffice. That
would make sure anybody can work on them!

> >> Proposal 8 - changing all Load/Save/Browse buttons
> >> mockup: http://www.shadeless.dk/request9.jpg
>
> Yup, that's good one. I actually wanted to do something similar, but using
> the folder icons from the user prefs. It should be consistent one way or the
> other though  - folder icon or ellipsis (...) ? any arguments/research
> for/against?

Well ellipsis indicates that a dialog will appear, while a file icon indicates
that the button is for some file operations and will propably bring up a dialog.

---
Thorsten