[Bf-funboard] Lots of cool ideas on how to improve consitancy, ease of use ect. (with mockups)

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 04:35:58 +0200

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 05:39:36PM +0200, William Reynish wrote:

> Proposal 1 - Vertical text in collapsed horisontal panels
> http://www.shadeless.dk/request1.jpg

It might be better to show the text rotated (vertical).

> Proposal 2 - Consistant arrows and menus
> http://www.shadeless.dk/request2.jpg

Well, the triangle takes up some additional space! And the disclosure triangle
is misused on the menu anway, because this symbol is meant to be used for
showing/hiding an area beneath it.

> Proposal 3 - Global Frames/seconds
> http://www.shadeless.dk/request3.jpg

Yes!

> Proposal 4 - use tabs whereever possible
> http://www.shadeless.dk/request4.jpg

I like the icons. All the same size, making the interface look more balanced.
Also some contrast between the different levels of organzation is healthy.

But I also must say that tabs with text-labels make for larger target areas
and the labels make clear what is meant.

Then again icons are faster recognized and help navigating the interface.

> Proposal 5 - include Grab, Rotate and Scale in menus
> http://www.shadeless.dk/request5.jpg

This trio would seem to behave rather strange when called from a menu (that applies
to the deformation trio too, but it wasn't my decision what to put in and what not
anyways).

I think it will be sufficient to have them in the Toolbox.
And the only realy newbie-friendly method of dealing with these basic operations
is the use of graphical manipulators/gizmos!
(Just for the record, I like the G/R/S keys since  use both hands anyway.)

> Proposal 6 - More preset Screen styles
> http://www.shadeless.dk/request6.jpg

But please don't put in things like "Flash MX" screens! (More because of the naming.)

> Proposal 7 - New cool startup screen with new functionality.
> http://www.shadeless.dk/request8.jpg

Bang! Right in your face!
I don't like that style. And Blender is not a game, it's a quite serious application
(well, serious fun ...).

Yes, it would be good to have a startup screen with one or more links to introductionary
material. But I would hate to be greeted by a window I have to close everytime!

The very best way of offering startup help I've seen so far is that of Maya 5 PLE.
A nice looking window with big buttons for starting videos on the very basics of the
app, starting with 3d viewport navigation (the very first thing I've checked with every
new 3d app I tried out so far). Well, it doesn't have to link to videos (mmh, anybody
with a girlfiend with a nice, warm voice ... it might boost Blenders attractivity;-)

---
Thorsten