[Bf-funboard] 3D View and Buttons Window Colour categories and default values

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:47:11 +1000

Hi,
I think Hilite should be spelt "Highlight".

Buttons Window
The "Text" category seems to only affect the colour of the active tab text.
The "Text Highlight" category currently is used to colour the minimize
button, the inactive tabs, all of the single panel titles and the border
when you're dragging a panel on top of another one. (Maybe the name doesn't
fit very well) I think the "Text Highlight" category should include the
active tabs, not the inactive tabs. And "Text" should be used as the colour
for inactive tab titles. (So it would be renamed to "Inactive Tab Text" or
something).
It took me a white to notice that you can change the alpha value of the
panels.... but at least the option to customize it is there.

3D View
Currently (amongst the other choices) you can choose:
wire - the unselected colour for meshes, cameras, armatures, etc
object active - for selected active meshes, cameras, armatures, etc
object selected - for selected non-active meshes, cameras, armatures, etc

I think those should be replaced with:
active selected
active non-selected
inactive selected
inactive non-selected

Their current values would be:
active selected - light pink
active non-selected - black
inactive selected - dark pink
inactive non-selected - black

Better values (could be the new defaults) could be:
active selected - yellow
active non-selected - very dark yellow
inactive selected - pink
inactive non-selected - black

That would be consistent with a lot of things, such as editmode and when
you're creating armatures, and the IPO window. (i.e. the active object is
*yellow* and the selected non-active objects are pink) The active
non-selected object is non-black though because even if the active object
isn't selected, it is still sometimes used... (e.g. for tracking, parenting,
entering different modes such as edit-mode, etc) At the moment the only
thing distinguishing active non-selected objects from other non-selected
objects is that its tiny centrepoint is pink. Rather than making the centre
point larger or something, I think it is better to change the wire-colour -
that way it is obvious exactly which non-selected object is active (that's
if the user made the active and inactive non-selected colours different)...
if you only rely on the centre points colour, it isn't always obvious which
object the centrepoint belongs to. I also think centre points should be the
same colour as the selected version of it (so if it is unselected, the
centrepoint of active objects have the active selected colour, and the
inactive objects have the inactive selected colour [even if they're
unselected]). At the moment the centrepoint colour isn't customizeable - it
is the same old pink or yellow. I think lights should also use the same
colours as the 4 categories I proposed. At the moment they're pink if
they're selected or yellow if unselected. Besides contradicting the
convention of yellow being the selected or active thing, it doesn't
distinguish between active and inactive at all. Applying the proposed 4
colour categories to lights would mean that lights would sometimes be black
though... well the default size of the light circle could be increased (and
be customizeable).

- Luke.