[Bf-funboard] Autosnapping is already there! And VERY nicely implemented!

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:02:23 +1000

William Reynish wrote:
> I think the fixed mode should be the default option- it is so much more
useful and easier to use.
> Maybe it will take alot of people a little while to figure out the
right-clicking thing though - maybe there
> could some icons for it instead?
I agree that it should be the default option, but currently it either is
horizontal or vertical (it doesn't change automatically). If there was
Windows-style auto-arranging then it would automatically optimize the
available space, whether horizontally, or vertically, or inbetween.

Robert Wenzlaff wrote:
> There should also be an "auto" mode that looks at the aspect ratio of the
> target window, and picks Hor/Vert.
Or Horizontal and Vertical arranging could simply be eliminated and replaced
with auto-arranging (like I described here:
http://www.blender.org/pipermail/bf-funboard/2003-October/001060.html
(For simplicity all of the panels could be assumed to be the same size).
BTW, say the buttons window was square-shaped and so were its 4 panels....
if you arranged them horizontally, it would look like this:
ABCD
XXXX
XXXX
XXXX
(Where X is blank space)
And if you arranged them vertically it would look like this:
AXXX
BXXX
CXXX
DXXX
But if you used my auto-arrange idea, it would look like this:
AABB
AABB
CCDD
CCDD
So each of the 4 panels would be twice as wide and twice as high as before -
that means it would be much easier to read and click on the buttons. Plus,
if you squashed the buttons window a lot vertically or horizontally, it
would go into the horizontal or vertical layout automatically as well. So it
is like your idea, but IMO better.

- Luke.