[Bf-funboard] Re: Bf-funboard digest, Vol 1 #156 - 13 msgs

Erik Lundberg bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:38:18 +1000 (EST)

TWIMC
Thanks for the new binaries. I'll try out the Linux & MS ones when I get home.
----
> From: "Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" <famrom@infernal-iceberg.com>
> > flaw@misaligned.net (2003-10-15 at 1002.04 -0400):
> > we should be able to go the guideline and see something a priority list
> > of the kinds of placements like so:
> > 1) Consistancy
> > 2) Workflow
> > 3) Grouping
> > 4) Something else
> Well, you seem to see consistency as different than workflow. IMO
> workflow is above it, and includes it. If you are working on
> something, I think you will find more consistent to have the related
> things in one place, not all over the place. In other apps that could
> mean a dialog (all the settings and some buttons to make it work), but
> in Blender I think it means "place near".
Who's workflow are you talking about? I would put it to you that your workflow & mine
are quite different. My order of use of different tools varies depending on project
stage. I think we have a lack of consistency here about what is meant by consistency,
workflow, grouping and so on. Perhaps some agreed upon definitions are in order. It
seems that your definition of workflow is quite loaded.
----
> Your raw consistancy proposal, in other apps, would mean different dialogs (eek!).
I don't understand. Different dialogues for (example) render settings, material editing
and lighting? Yes, I agree. I often use these tools grouped separately in tight
iterative loops at presentation stages of a project. I would expect them to be in
different groups and for the organisation of the groups to be consistent somehow. I
wouldn't expect a dialogue that laid out the different settings that I would tweek into
a workflow. I will grant you that tools like solid-edge have excellent task oriented,
workflow based interfaces, however I'm not an engineer and so my workflow &
solid-edge's 'workflow' are different. This makes solid-edge inapropriate for me. It
would be great if blender could consistently read *my* intentions and have tools laid
out in an appropriate workflow,(^-^) but I'm skeptical.(>_<)

Erik