[Bf-funboard] Toolbox Thoughts and List

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:20:16 +0200

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:44:05PM +1000, Luke Wenke wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm assuming the square brackets show the prerequisites.... well here are my
> comments:
>
> >   Select All [nothing selected]
> If "a" is used, this is true. If a menu is used, then the selection would be
> irrelevant. (i.e. you can have some or most of the things selected)

The option in the menu is Select/Deselect All. In my proposal I switch
between Select and Deselect according to what it will be. There is no
difference to using Akey.

> >   Inverse [something selected]
> You need to be in editmode with a mesh being the active object (it doesn't
> matter whether the mesh is a selected object or not). And it doesn't matter
> if any vertices are selected.

Then Inverse _should_ work on any selection (all modes where it makes sense).

> >   Duplicate [something selected/active]
> Should be [something selected] - it doesn't work for non-selected active
> items

Shouldnt have used the "/" here, I meant selected and active. Sorry!

> >   Object Mode [Edit Mode]
> >   Edit Mode [Object Mode]
> You can change between object, edit, face select, vertex paint and texture
> paint mode.... if a mesh is the active object (even if it is unselected).
> For most active object types you can only be in object mode. For armatures
> you can be in object, edit and pose mode. For metaballs, lattices, paths,
> etc, you can be in object and edit mode. So the mode you can switch to
> depends on the current active object. (it doesn't matter if it is selected
> or not)

There's something about those other modes that I tend to forget about them ...

> > Transform
> >   Grab [something selected/active]
> >   Rotate [something selected/active]
> >   Scale [something selected/active]
> G/R/S only applies to selected objects.
>
> >   Shear [something selected/active, changes Object Mode to Edit Mode]
> >   Warp [something selected/active, changes Object Mode to Edit Mode]
> >   Shrink/Fatten [something selected/active, bug in Edit-Mode: asks: Clear
> Size?]
> These 3 things should only appear in editmode - they shouldn't appeat in
> object mode and simultaneously switch you to editmode. This is how it is now
> in the Blender 2.29 menus.

I think they should be in Object Mode, but they shouldn't switch to Edit Mode.

> >   Numerical [something selected/active]
> You have to be in object mode, and it tells you about the active object, so
> at least one object must exist.

Oh well, it _should_ work on single vertices, for example. But I see, I should
have tested some mor things.

> >   Boolean Operation [more than 1 mesh-object selected]
> It seems to kind of work with only 1 non-active selected object. (not sure)

Yes, it ignores additional selected.

> >   Make Single User [??]
> >   Make Local [active object is linked]
> >   Make Links [more than one object selected]
> ???
>
> >   Clear Parent [active object has parent]
> >   Clear Track [active object is tracking something]
> something selected (whether it is active is irrelevant)

Doe that mean the Clear commands clear all tracking or parenting for all
selected objects?

> > Image [for all: Object Mode]
> >   Image Aspect [active object has material with image texture assigned to
> it]
> ?????
>
> Maybe you should look at the Blender 2.29 menus since they're organised
> pretty well and try and organise them into larger groups/categories.

I compiled the list partly from broken's screnshots in the forum!

Do you mean larger groups with respect to preconditions or the
organization in the Toolbox? For the Toolbox I aim for 4, 6 or 8
toplevels for any mode or selection.

Thank you very much for you comments.
Since you seem to know Blender far better, could you please provide a list,
of which menu items go with Face Select, Vertex Paint, Texture Paint and
Pose Mode?

---
Thorsten