[Bf-funboard] Buttons organisation guidelines

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:46:29 +0200

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 07:49:51PM +1000, Matt Ebb wrote:

> So my initial proposal. in grouping these buttons together:
> 1* Try to keep panels mode-specific. i.e: don't mix buttons that are
> dependent on different modes
> 2* Try to keep panels specific to either tools or settings

> We can come up with guidelines for organising these panels within the
> window, for example:
> * Panels containing settings go towards the left/bottom side, Panels
> containing Actions towards the right/top side

Very good!

More generaly: Buttons window contents (the panels) as well as the controls
inside the panels should be layed out according to workflow.
Left:settings, right:actions

That would also mean:
Top:settings, bottom:actions
because of reading directions. I think it would be good for vertical layouts,
but maybe not so good for horizontal. It depends on how often one changes
settings or uses an action. So I'm not sure about it.

> We can even come up with guidelines for how to do this, such as:
> * When panels must contain mixed settings and actions, organise the actions
> at the top of the panel and settings at the bottom

Maybe Blender should have official/general GUI guidelines, including things
like this.

---
Thorsten