[Bf-funboard] editbuttons layout update.

Matt Ebb bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:22:39 +1000

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 02:32:09AM +0200, William Reynish wrote:
> > Someone said they thought they would prefer it if there were not any
boxes around the groups. I personally think it adds visual calmness, and
overview to have them in visual boxes. I have made a version without boxes
for you to compare with the other versions here:

> > http://www.shadeless.dk/editbuttons2_vertical_othercollapse_nolines.jpg
>
> Much better! Less is more.

I disagree - particularly the way the panels system is being implemented,
it's very useful to clearly show what belongs to what panel. The panels can
be dragged around, collapsed, manipulated, docket with other panels, etc.
it's very flexible and it's important to be able to visualise these sorts of
things so people know where the headers are, where to drag, where to drop,
etc.

> And the arrowheads for collapsing panels ...
> it looks like it could be for some dropdown menu as well.
>
> It represents state. The problem is, it could mean the
> current state or the state to change to.
> Maybe you could come with a simple icon that refers to the
> _action_ of collapsing/expanding.

The disclosure triangle was chosen because it is a standard control used in
a number of operating systems, for exactly this purpose -
expanding/collapsing areas. Here's an excerpt from Apple's (older OS8) UI
guidlines regarding them:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/HIGOS8Guide/thig-24.html , and
a less in-depth description from the OSX UI guidelines:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AquaHIGuidelines/AHIGControls/index.html .

I have some other thoughts, which I'll post in a new email since it's more
of a general topic.

Cheers

Matt