[Bf-funboard] editbuttons layout update.

William Reynish bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:02:06 +0200 (CEST)

--0-679893507-1066190526=:42891

Luke Wrote:

Ok, but there should be a time when it is appropriate to discuss name
changes otherwise the problem will just keep being brushed aside and
blender
will be harder to use for beginners (who may in fact be experienced 3d
modellers) than it could have been.

Couldn't agree more. Alot of Blenders nerminology is alright and fine (like Parent, Material, Texture, and lots and lots of other things). Only a few names here and there are particularily over-confusing. Why confuse people so much when we don't have to?

but anyway, there have been a few people so far that like the button names to be clear.

Yes indeed, as will the millions of new users Blender users that will arrive in no time when they fix a few UI barriers. Blender is an amazing 3D program -The only problem is it can get so confusing for people. I remember learning Blender very clearly. 3 years of heavy usage, and I'm still finding more secret functions!

By The way, I don't care if it will be Weld or Merge, they both make sence.

I think in the vertical layout the borders [between the button groups] can get too big, and not
really
add to visual calmness...

What if I made the border smaller?

BTW, in an earlier reply to you I said some things you haven't addressed yet.

Yes I'm sorry! I do agree with alot of your comments though...

 Hash and Xsort should be right next to each other since they're both related to the vertex indexes

I have never used Hash or Xsort. Ifact I don't have clue what they do (I have read the tooltips, but I don't get it.) But you seem to know what they do, so you must be right. I forgot to change this.

It looks like you're doubling up with the extrude/screw/spin toggle
buttons.

I don't see that I'm doubling up, infact I meant to do the opposite. Currently there are buttons called 'extrude dup' 'spin dup'. Now, if you would like to make duplacate extrusions, you would press the Extrude/Screw/Spin Duplicates (I could rename it just to Duplicates, but it is less explanetory) button, and then hit Extrude.

The combined set should be removed.
I'm sorry I don't know what you are referring to.. What set?

And when things are toggled off,
the
areas that are no longer relevant should be grayed out (but perhaps
still be
changeable by the user) that way they can see what properties relate to
which toggle buttons.

Yes I agree. Graying out things that are not relavant is a very good idea if we should make it easier to understand the interface. So yes, when Extrude/Screw/Spin Duplicates is toggled off, the field below should be grayed out.

I don't think the "management" word should be there.
I removed it.

Assign and remove for vertex groups and materials should be next to select and deselect

I disagree, because Select referres to the currently selected vertex group and selects all vertices in that group. It doesn't have much to do with assigning and removing (Ok, it is related, but everything in the Vertex Groups panel is) .

For vertex groups it looks like that assign and remove are in the weighting category.

They are. Assign applys the specified weight to the selected vertices. So Assign and Remove is very much to do with weighting. Infact, those ARE the three buttons you would use when weighting a mesh.

I don't remember seeing "drawspeed" before...
No, I forgot to mention this. The idea is that it functions just like the current Draw Faster and Draw Slower, only that you had more control.

-William (Monkeyboi)

------------
Yahoo! Mail - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan
--0-679893507-1066190526=:42891

<DIV><EM>Luke Wrote:</EM></DIV>
<DIV><EM></EM>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>Ok, but there should be a time when it is appropriate to discuss name<BR>changes otherwise the problem will just keep being brushed aside and <BR>blender<BR>will be harder to use for beginners (who may in fact be experienced 3d<BR>modellers) than it could have been.</EM></DIV>
<P>Couldn't agree more. Alot of Blenders nerminology&nbsp;is alright and fine (like Parent, Material, Texture, and lots and lots of other things). Only a few names here and there are particularily over-confusing. Why confuse people so much when we don't have to?</P>
<DIV><BR><EM>but anyway, there have been a few people so far that like the button names to be clear.</EM></DIV>
<P>Yes indeed, as will the millions of new users Blender users&nbsp;that will&nbsp;arrive in no time when they fix a few UI barriers. Blender is an amazing 3D program -The only problem is it can get so confusing for people. I remember learning Blender very clearly. 3 years of heavy usage, and I'm still finding more secret functions!</P>
<P>By The way, I don't care if it will be Weld or Merge, they both make sence.</P>
<DIV><EM><BR>I think in the vertical layout the borders [between the button groups] can get too big, and not <BR>really<BR>add to visual calmness...</EM><BR></DIV>
<DIV>What if I made the border smaller? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>BTW, in an earlier reply to you I said some things you haven't addressed</EM> <EM>yet.</EM></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Yes I'm sorry! I do agree with&nbsp;alot of&nbsp;your comments though...</DIV>
<DIV><EM></EM>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>&nbsp;Hash and Xsort should be right next to each other since they're both related to the vertex indexes</EM></DIV>
<DIV><EM></EM>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have never used Hash or Xsort. Ifact I don't have clue what they do (I have read the tooltips, but I don't get it.) But you seem to know what they do, so you must be right. I forgot to change this.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>It looks like you're doubling up with the extrude/screw/spin toggle <BR>buttons.</EM></DIV>
<P>I don't see that I'm doubling up, infact I meant to do the opposite. Currently there are buttons called 'extrude dup' 'spin dup'. Now, if you would like to make duplacate extrusions, you would&nbsp;press the Extrude/Screw/Spin Duplicates (I could rename it just to Duplicates, but it is less explanetory)&nbsp;button, and then hit Extrude.</P>
<DIV><BR><EM>The combined set should be removed. </EM></DIV>
<DIV>I'm sorry I don't know what you are referring to.. What set? </DIV>
<DIV><EM></EM>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>And when things are toggled off, <BR>the<BR>areas that are no longer relevant should be grayed out (but perhaps <BR>still be<BR>changeable by the user) that way they can see what properties relate to<BR>which toggle buttons.</EM></DIV>
<DIV><EM></EM>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Yes I agree. Graying out things that are not relavant is a very good idea if we should make it easier to understand the interface. So yes, when Extrude/Screw/Spin Duplicates is toggled off, the field below should be grayed out.</DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>I don't think the "management" word should be there.</EM></DIV>
<DIV>I removed it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>Assign and remove for vertex groups and materials should be next to select and deselect</EM><BR></DIV>
<DIV>I disagree,&nbsp;because Select&nbsp;referres to the currently selected vertex group and selects all vertices in that group. It doesn't have much to do with assigning and removing (Ok, it is&nbsp;related, but everything in&nbsp;the Vertex Groups&nbsp;panel is)&nbsp;.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>For vertex groups it looks like that assign and remove are in the weighting category.</EM> </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>They are. Assign applys the specified weight to the selected vertices. So Assign and Remove is very much to do with weighting. Infact, those&nbsp;ARE the three buttons you would use when weighting a mesh.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>I don't remember seeing "drawspeed" before...</EM></DIV>
<DIV>No, I forgot to mention this. The idea is that it functions just like the current Draw Faster and Draw Slower, only that you had more control.<BR></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>