[Bf-funboard] Toolbox 6

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:52:52 +1000

Hi,
I like how you've got the Boolean menu go near the centre... maybe it could
be moved up more (so that "union" is vertically centered with "Boolean Op."
so that it is easier to get to "difference". Note to ton, etc, I think
"difference" should be renamed to "Subtract". "Difference" implies the
inverse of intersect - i.e. everything that isn't intersecting. But in fact,
it involves one object being "subtracted" from the other.
The diagonal lines are still a bit too distracting. The hotkeys are good.
They're quite subtle... I barely noticed them at first. The arrow should
maybe be a filled in small triangle. (< looks a bit odd)
For "Relation" you could call it Track/Parent
Maybe "Convert" should be "convert to mesh" or something (it makes it
clearer what it does)... and would only show up at appropriate times - like
it subsurf was enabled, etc.
I like how you've got the submenus show up ("Add") when you're typing, as
well as the hotkeys...
The way the text-field expands when you type looks good. BTW, if OSA is
renamed (which I think it should be) you could just type AA. Though on
second thoughts I guess that might pollute the A section a bit too much.
Especially if there was AA5, AA8, AA11, AA16, AA on, AA off...
BTW, maybe if you hold your mouse over one spot for half a second or 1
second, a tooltip could appear that may be 2 or 3 lines long. If your mouse
is in the centre where the typing thing is it could explain that you can
type in commands rather than use the menus.
BTW, I think if the user moves too far away from the menus, they should
disappear (except for the main toolbox) and if they move further still, then
the toolbox could disappear. But menus shouldn't disappear if you move only
1 pixel away. Menu items should always be highlighted when the mouse is over
the top of them so you know which item you are potentially going to be click
on. And multiple items might be highlighted - e.g. if you move of "Boolean
Op." and then "Union", both of the menu items would be highlighted.
- Luke.