[Bf-funboard] Re: Undo Possibilities / What's the problem?

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 07:11:02 +0200

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 06:40:34AM -0700, D.J. Capelis wrote:
> If it's merely changing the location of an object,
> then it seems the .diff could be generated fairly
> easily.  For more complex operations, perhaps if might
> be a little trickier.

I'm no coder ...
but your talk about diffs seems odd to me.
For me a diff contains the difference between 2 states or files.
Like a patch.

What is the benefit of computing the diff between the actual
state and the state before the last operation?

And do you realy want file i/o after every operation?

If ressource usage is a topic, I guess the only sane way of
handling undo is to log operations and make them reversable.

Oh, reversable operations ... is that the problem?

However, I would rather like to see an undo-system done right
in a later release, than a hack in an earlier one.

And allthough most apps do it, deleting undo-history on
saving the file is stupid!

So a very good undo-system would be omnipresent, branching
and persistent (undo-history saved with file).

---
Thorsten Wilms