[Bf-funboard] Toolbox, mmh, 5

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:53:01 +0200

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:19:10PM +1000, Luke Wenke wrote:
> Hi,
> The boolean operations (could be shortened to "Boolean...") item could lead
> to a submenu which lets you choose the boolean operation. The same could go
> for other operations that lead to pop-up menus, including Copy Property,
> track/parent things, etc. And the things that lead to pop-up menus should
> have dots after them like this.... or little arrows >> or something.

Yes. I was going to turn the current popups into submenus anyway.
And likes stated several times: there will be arrows (or some thing).

> And the hotkey for Boolean (and other things) could be shown there - perhaps
> in gray.

With the exception of the toplevel, where shortcuts would be spare and ugly,
I will include them as soon as I'm happy with layout and organization.

> Near the centre of the menu, I think there shouldn't be diagonal lines - I
> find that too distracting. The lines can continue across being horizontal.

Tried that. Looks a bit cleaner, but it doesn't communicate the radial nature
of this thing, something very important in my opinion.

> As far as the red thing in the centre goes, what happens if you type stuff?
> Does the entire pop-up menu expand? Or does it disappear?

A box will appear below it, showing the possible completions. I think the
rest of the menu could stay on screen for having a cancel function, a way
out of keyboard input.

> I think the Parent and Track things should be renamed....
> e.g.
> "Track <activeObjectName>" (instead of "Make Track")
> For clear track maybe it could be "Track nothing" since track is a verb and
> not really a noun.
> For "Make Parent", maybe it could be:
> "<activeObjectName> is Parent"
> I think that is far more clear.
> For "clear parent" it could be
> "No Parent"
> That makes it clear that the actual parent object isn't being changed...
> just the child object's data about what its parent is.

Ton stated that the renaming stuff should happen after 2.3 (the redesign will
not end there). He said it in the context of the buttons window, but I guess
it applies here at well.

So for now I only care for renaming if it affects the organization of the
menu.

Any ideas for a better name for the menu with tracking and parenting?
(I called it 'Relation')

---
Thorsten