[Bf-funboard] Re: Undo Possibilities

D.J. Capelis bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:16:49 -0700 (PDT)

> Maybe this should wait, until there is a normal,
> omnipresent undo implemented into blender.

The idea is that this is supposed to be an idea for an
easy to implement omnipresent undo feature.

This is something that's really been messing with my
head and an undo feature it a must.  So I thought one
up.  In the process, I also realized it could just as
easily be a branching undo.

Here's the general premise.  After every operation,
blender saves something like a .blend (like the
autosave) except, it's done after every operation.
This is stored in a series of .diffs

When the user requests and undo, they can rollback to
any point in which the .diffs extend.  Seeing as you
keep records of the .diffs, you might as well allow
branching undo as it's trivial from that point.

When the user saves the file, all the .diff files are
merged and the extra ones tossed to save disk space.
Seems like something that's fairly simple and possible
to implement without too much excess overhead.  I'm
interested to see what Ton and some of the devs who
might be implementing it (I would, but I don't have
any experience with blender's codebase or the language
to likely do a good job of it...) think of it's speed
tradeoffs.  If the speed tradeoffs are too great then
make it a user option.  It's clear that blender needs
this, even if it's an option and this seems like a
viable alternative.

If you do find some drudge work for me to help in with
the implementation, or something I can do to help this
feature go in, I'd be happy and honored to do it.

This is an answer, not something to be ignored until
another answer pops up that might be worse and harder
to modify for branching.  I'd like to hear the reasons
on why exactly this is infeasible?  If it isn't, then
I'll write up a patch myself if I have to... (I'd take
me forever and a day and would be buggier than code
ton et. al. likely write in their sleep, but that's
not the point.)

=====
~D.J. Capelis~
Network Security and Cryptography Researcher.
Developer of the FOML NewSE codefork - http://se.solarmatrix.net