[Bf-funboard] Reorganising the EditButtons

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 02:19:26 +1000

> Beauty -> Long (under subdivide)
I don't even know what beauty does so I can't comment on that. The tooltip
for it should explain it.

> added Short next to Long, wich could subdivde the selected faces on the
short axes.
> Rem doubles -> weld vertices
Weld vertices (or weld) is better because you can weld as many as you like
together - "rem doubles" kind of suggests that it looks for pairs and
removes one of vertices in the pair.
I'd like weld to have no real limit (e.g. 10,000+). At the moment it has a
limit of 1.0. :(
It could simply be "Weld 0.001" (i.e. very short)

> Added Recalculate Normals next to Flip Normals
> The layer controller is now a pulldown menu.
It's not visual though.... like the old representation of layers is, and
objects can be simultaneously on multiple layers.

> Everything har been organised into categories.
Hash and Xsort should be right next to each other since they're both related
to the vertex indexes.

It looks like you're doubling up with the extrude/screw/spin toggle buttons.
The combined set should be removed. And when things are toggled off, the
areas that are no longer relevant should be grayed out (but perhaps still be
changeable by the user) that way they can see what properties relate to
which toggle buttons.
I don't think the "management" word should be there.
Assign and remove for vertex groups and materials should be next to select
and deselect. For vertex groups it looks like that assign and remove are in
the weighting category. There is no need at all for the "weighting" category
title since it is repeated by "weight". In the materials section there
shouldn't be the word "application".
I don't remember seeing "drawspeed" before...
I don't think the new centre point buttons are any clearer than the old
ones. So the old centre point button names could be kept.
Half of the operations there only work in edit mode - I think they should be
separated somehow... and many of the operations only work in object mode
(e.g. boolean, etc) Some are unnecessarily restricted to object mode (e.g.
delete material, centre point functions)
Maybe when not in edit mode, the edit mode buttons (which logically only
work in edit mode - like weld vertices, etc) could simply disappear....or at
least be grayed out or something.

> They should be connected together so that you can see that one affects the
other
I agree.... so then toggle buttons that don't work in that way should be
partly separated or look different in some way.

> Another idea I had was that you should be able to tell the difference
between all toggle buttons and normal buttons that spring back when you have
clicked them (like the Render button). Normal buttons should be slightly
brighter than togglebuttons. A mockup:
> http://www.shadeless.dk/buttons_mockup2.jpg
I don't think that is different enough really... ideally I think there
should be cross type buttons (on/off) and radio buttons (where you pick one
option) and normal buttons that don't have a memory. I guess cross type
buttons and radio buttons are pretty similar, so they could be drawn in the
same way... (radio buttons could be joined together, like you suggested
though...)
BTW, now that I look at it, in editmode at least, it looks like toggle
buttons are teal and sometimes grey and buttons that don't have a memory are
orangey or grey. So it is currently a bit inconsistent, but that idea could
be used (colour) to distinguish between the different kinds of buttons. (Two
basic types)

> To Ton: ....except you seemed to say that the names of the buttons weren't
that important,
> only tooltips
I think he means some of your button titles are too long. They can be short
and the tooltips can clarify things.

- Luke.