[Bf-funboard] Reorganising the EditButtons

William Reynish bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:57:38 +0200 (CEST)

--0-1032468856-1066057058=:6610

I have attempted to reorganise the editbuttons more logically. This is meant for inspiration to those who will code the new UI in Blender 2.30. This is my attempt:

http://www.shadeless.dk/editbuttons.jpg

I have changed the names of a few buttons and added som as well. The changes are:

Beauty -> Long (under subdivide)
added Short next to Long, wich could subdivde the selected faces on the short axes.
Rem doubles -> weld vertices
Added Smooth subdivide. Strange that this button is not in the edit buttons window currently
Taxface - Make ->Enable texface
VertCol - Make -> Bake Vertex Colors
Added Boolean
Added Recalculate Normals next to Flip Normals
The layer controller is now a pulldown menu.
Everything har been organised into categories.

You can comment as much as you like.

This is the vertical version:
http://www.shadeless.dk/editbuttons_vertical.jpg

Another proposal is about togglebuttons that switch off when another is pressed (Like the percent buttons in the RenderButtons, or the texture projection buttons in the MaterialButtons). I think there should be a visual difference between normal toggle buttons and buttons like these. They should be connected together so that you can see that one affects the other. here is a mockup:

http://www.shadeless.dk/buttons_mockup.jpg

Another idea I had was that you should be able to tell the difference between all toggle buttons and normal buttons that spring back when you have clicked them (like the Render button). Normal buttons should be slightly brighter than togglebuttons. A mockup:
http://www.shadeless.dk/buttons_mockup2.jpg

Again, you are free to comment.

-William Reynish (Monkeyboi)

To Ton: about the renderbuttons layout I did (http://www.shadeless.dk/renderbuttons.gif), I'd like to know wich parts you did like. I do agree with most of your critique, except you seemed to say that the names of the buttons weren't that important, only tooltips. I think the names are very important!  Even though it says that OSA is actually antialiasing in the tooltip, it still takes a considerable amount of time before a newbie realises that it is infact antialiasing. Nearly all Very Newbie images you see on elysiun are not rendered with OSA. They don't know what it is.

PS: I really don't mean to sound angry or negative, remember I love this wonderful program, and I use it to death! As a fairly experienced user (3 years), I can say that a new organisation of the buttons won't slow me down. Having all functions in the menus certinately won't either - I often have to go to elysiun and perform a search when I have forgotten a key-combination. Having everything in the menus will mean that I can check the key-combination in an instance. For New users, this is wonderful - they can't guess a feature and try every key-combination untill they find what they want y'know!

------------
Yahoo! Mail - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan
--0-1032468856-1066057058=:6610

<DIV>I have attempted to reorganise the editbuttons more logically. This is meant for inspiration to those who will code the new UI in Blender 2.30. This is my attempt:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.shadeless.dk/editbuttons.jpg">http://www.shadeless.dk/editbuttons.jpg</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have changed the names of a few buttons and added som as well. The changes are:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Beauty -&gt; Long (under subdivide)</DIV>
<DIV>added Short next to Long, wich could subdivde the selected faces on the short axes.</DIV>
<DIV>Rem doubles -&gt; weld vertices<BR>Added Smooth subdivide. Strange that this button is not in the edit buttons window currently</DIV>
<DIV>Taxface - Make -&gt;Enable texface</DIV>
<DIV>VertCol - Make -&gt; Bake Vertex Colors</DIV>
<DIV>Added Boolean</DIV>
<DIV>Added Recalculate Normals next to Flip Normals</DIV>
<DIV>The layer controller is now a pulldown menu.</DIV>
<DIV>Everything har been organised into categories.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>You can comment as much as you like.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This is the vertical version:</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.shadeless.dk/editbuttons_vertical.jpg">http://www.shadeless.dk/editbuttons_vertical.jpg</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Another proposal is about togglebuttons that switch off when another is pressed (Like the percent buttons in the RenderButtons, or the texture projection buttons in the MaterialButtons). I think there should be a visual difference between normal toggle buttons and buttons like these. They should be connected together so that you can see that one affects the other. here is a mockup:<BR></DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.shadeless.dk/buttons_mockup.jpg">http://www.shadeless.dk/buttons_mockup.jpg</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Another idea I had was that you should be able to tell the difference between all toggle buttons and normal buttons that spring back when you have clicked them (like the Render button). Normal buttons should be slightly brighter than togglebuttons.&nbsp;A mockup:</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.shadeless.dk/buttons_mockup2.jpg">http://www.shadeless.dk/buttons_mockup2.jpg</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Again, you are free to comment.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-William Reynish (Monkeyboi)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>To Ton: about the renderbuttons layout I did (<A href="http://www.shadeless.dk/renderbuttons.gif">http://www.shadeless.dk/renderbuttons.gif</A><A href="http://www.shadeless.dk/renderbuttons2.jpg"></A>), I'd like to know wich parts you did like. I do agree with most of your critique, except you seemed to say that the names of the buttons weren't that important, only tooltips. I think the names are very important!&nbsp; Even though it says that OSA is actually antialiasing in the tooltip, it still takes a considerable amount of time before a newbie realises that it is infact antialiasing. Nearly all Very Newbie images you see on elysiun are not rendered with OSA. They don't know what it is.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>PS: I really don't mean to sound angry or negative, remember I love this wonderful&nbsp;program, and I use it to death! As a fairly experienced user (3 years), I can say that a&nbsp;new organisation of the buttons won't slow me down. Having all functions in the menus certinately won't either - I often have to go to elysiun and perform a search when I have forgotten a key-combination. Having everything in the menus will mean&nbsp;that I can check the key-combination in an instance. For New users, this is wonderful - they can't guess a feature and try every key-combination untill they find what they want&nbsp;y'know!</DIV><p>------------<br>
--0-1032468856-1066057058=:6610--