[Bf-funboard] New Logical Renderbuttons Layout

Roel Spruit bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:50:06 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C38FF6.3272B190

I think you are missing a part of the design conversation. Ton made a
proposal on blender.org about collapsable panels, vertical layouts etc.
(basically everything you described)
and he is already implementing it....I don't see the reason to discuss this
any further?

Roel
  -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
  Van: bf-funboard-admin@blender.org
[mailto:bf-funboard-admin@blender.org]Namens William Reynish
  Verzonden: zaterdag 11 oktober 2003 11:41
  Aan: bf-funboard@blender.org
  Onderwerp: [Bf-funboard] New Logical Renderbuttons Layout

  Due to a few drawbacks of my RenderButtons mock-up on the Blender Funboard
ealier, I have updated and changed it a bit. Here it is:

  http://www.shadeless.dk/renderbuttons.gif

  All the buttons have been organised into groups. In this case, there are 6
groups; Save, Options, Render, Other, Format and Presets. This makes it much
easier for the user to make sence of the buttons. It is now clear that
Quality has to do with saving, and that Width and Height has to do with the
frame size.
  The idea is the you can collapse the groups (especially useful while in
Vertical mode)so that you can concentrate on certain aspects and make more
room for what you are concentrating on.

  I have also changed the names of some buttons. Here is the list of
changes:
  Odd > Upper
  X > Time difference
  OSA > Anti-aliasing
  Play > Play Movie
  These names seem more logical. How could you possibly guess that 'X' meant
disabling the time difference in Field rendering? Calling the button 'Time
difference' seems more logical. Anti-aliasing is a common name for removing
the aliasing in images. This term is used in photoshop, Maya, XSI, and
countless other programs - having it called OSA just confuses people. Then,
ofcourse thereis the Upper-Lower/Even-Odd discusssion, and I think that
Upper and Lower are more widely used. I changed the Play button to Play
Movie because it should be clear that it is playing the movie. I also added
the Show Image button so that you could have the last rendered image shown
(the same as pressing F11). This seemed logical, because Play Movie and Show
Image are related buttons - having one as just a hotkey and the other in the
RenderButtons is wierd.
  I have made a new Level numberbutton for Motionblur so that you can chose
the Motionblur level independantly from Anti-aliasing.

  You will notice that the Anti-aliasing, Panorama, Edge, Motionblur and
Fields buttons are animated to show how it will look when they are
depressed. The settings for each button should only be active when it is
depressed, so that it is clear to the user that the settings are relevant to
the button it belongs to.

  My proposal is also to make it possible to edit Numberbuttons by just
leftclicking on them. You could always click the arrows to move the number
up or down.

  Tell me what you think!
  -Monkeyboi (William)

  PS
  I'm working on giving the EditButtons the same treatment. I should be
finished soon.. I planning on doing roughly the same to all the
Buttonwindows.

  PPS
  Changes since the last post are:

  Button options (like under Anti-aliasing) has changed appearence
  The percent buttons are not a slider anymore
  Added Show image
  Changed odd/even to Upper/Lower
  Added Level Setting for Motionblur
  ------------
  Yahoo! Mail - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C38FF6.3272B190

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2722.900" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D766324810-11102003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>I=20
think you are missing a part of the design conversation. Ton made a =
proposal on=20
blender.org about collapsable panels, vertical layouts etc. (basically=20
everything you described) </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D766324810-11102003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>and he=20
is already implementing it....I don't see the reason to discuss this any =

further?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D766324810-11102003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D766324810-11102003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>Roel</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----<BR><B>Van:</B>=20
  bf-funboard-admin@blender.org =
[mailto:bf-funboard-admin@blender.org]<B>Namens=20
  </B>William Reynish<BR><B>Verzonden:</B> zaterdag 11 oktober 2003=20
  11:41<BR><B>Aan:</B> bf-funboard@blender.org<BR><B>Onderwerp:</B>=20
  [Bf-funboard] New Logical Renderbuttons Layout<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>Due to&nbsp;a few&nbsp;drawbacks of my RenderButtons =
mock-up&nbsp;on the=20
  Blender Funboard ealier, I have updated and changed it a bit. Here it=20
is:</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.shadeless.dk/renderbuttons.gif">http://www.shadeless.d=
k/renderbuttons.gif</A></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>All the buttons have been organised into groups. In this case, =
there are=20
  6 groups; Save, Options, Render, Other, Format and Presets. This makes =
it much=20
  easier for the user to make sence of the buttons. It is now clear that =
Quality=20
  has to do with saving, and that Width and Height has to do with the =
frame=20
  size.<BR>The idea is the you can collapse the groups (especially =
useful while=20
  in Vertical mode)so that you can concentrate on certain aspects and =
make more=20
  room for what you are concentrating on.</DIV>
  <DIV><BR>I have also changed the names of some buttons. Here is the =
list of=20
  changes:</DIV>
  <DIV>Odd &gt; Upper<BR>X &gt; Time difference<BR>OSA &gt;=20
  Anti-aliasing<BR>Play &gt; Play Movie</DIV>
  <DIV>These names seem more logical. How could you possibly guess that =
'X'=20
  meant disabling the time difference in Field rendering? Calling the =
button=20
  'Time difference' seems more logical. Anti-aliasing is a common name =
for=20
  removing the aliasing in images. This term is used in photoshop, Maya, =
XSI,=20
  and countless other programs - having it called OSA just confuses =
people.=20
  Then, ofcourse thereis the Upper-Lower/Even-Odd discusssion, and I =
think that=20
  Upper and Lower are more widely used. I changed the Play button to =
Play Movie=20
  because it should be clear that it is playing the movie. I also added =
the Show=20
  Image button so that you could have the last rendered image shown (the =
same as=20
  pressing F11). This seemed logical, because Play Movie and Show Image =
are=20
  related buttons - having one as just a hotkey and the other in the=20
  RenderButtons is wierd. </DIV>
  <DIV>I have made a new Level numberbutton for Motionblur so that =
you&nbsp;can=20
  chose the Motionblur level independantly&nbsp;from =
Anti-aliasing.&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>You will notice that the Anti-aliasing, Panorama, Edge, =
Motionblur and=20
  Fields buttons are animated to show how it will look when they are =
depressed.=20
  The settings for each button should only be active when it is =
depressed, so=20
  that it is clear to the user that the settings are relevant to the =
button it=20
  belongs to.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>My proposal is also to make it possible to edit Numberbuttons by =
just=20
  leftclicking on them. You could always click the arrows to move the =
number up=20
  or down.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Tell me what you think!</DIV>
  <DIV>-Monkeyboi (William)</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>PS<BR>I'm working on giving the EditButtons the same treatment. I =
should=20
  be finished soon.. I planning on doing roughly the same to all the=20
  Buttonwindows.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>PPS</DIV>
  <DIV>Changes since the last post are:</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Button options (like under Anti-aliasing) has changed =
appearence</DIV>
  <DIV>The percent buttons are not a slider anymore</DIV>
  <DIV>Added Show image</DIV>
  <DIV>Changed odd/even to Upper/Lower</DIV>
  <DIV>Added Level Setting for Motionblur</DIV>
  <P>------------<BR><A href=3D"http://dk.mail.yahoo.com">Yahoo! =
Mail</A> -=20
  Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og =
virusscan</P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C38FF6.3272B190--