[Bf-funboard] Toolbox Design 3

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:22:30 +1000

Hi,
I like broken's ideas a lot better.
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=12068#12068
He's got it all organised quite logically. I don't like the idea about "For
reducing average access time the menu items presumably needed more often are
located closer to the center." I think they should be in logical groups, and
within groups they could be in consistent orders - perhaps partly
alphabetical. I like how broken has clear submenus, and dividing lines
between different groups... and all the hotkeys listed so you can see many
at once.
I think your first design, the "Multibox" would be just as fast as the other
two...you'd only have to correctly click on the one right position, rather
than also have to hover the mouse to a correct position first as well...
that means you'd have to remember two locations in order to access one
command.
I think the commands should be in some subgroups, using some horizontal
lines, like broken did. The items in the groups could be mostly alphabetical
except that "add" could be the first item (if it exists) and "delete" could
be the last (or maybe the second, so that it is next to "add"). It would be
good if the hotkeys were shown too... maybe they could be in a tiny gray
font so that the command names are pretty easy to read. Maybe the hotkey
listings could be either on the left or right, depending which is further
away from where the mouse pointer starts.
Maybe there could be tooltips, as I suggested earlier... (which provide an
explanation for what things do for beginners - so they don't have to bother
looking it up)

- Luke.