[Bf-funboard] Blendfile Tutorials

Landis Fields bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:32:23 -0000

Haunt_House,

I like it buddy...great job. You know what would be REALLY nice though...is
if there was an option to create tutorials inside of Blender...no ther
application does this and I think that this would definatley put Blender up
above the rest. Everyone knows how indispensible tutorials are...the
companies can only do so much (create manuals, offer extras such as textures
for download), but they dont truly know how an application is applied to
everyday problems by everyday artist unless they hire some...and I am sure
that they usally do....or contract them out for stuff but anyways....

Heres what I was thinking of....you know how the tool tips come up..well if
there was some way to input your own tool tips that were to be displayed as
determined by the author of the tutorial...for example...you would load the
blend file...the window would come up as intended by the author which Blender
is already capable of doing...although the user would then see a text box
appear from a button much like in a comic strip...as though that button is
talking....edit buttons icon for example "click me"...then once those buttons
are displayed in the buttons window Blender would know to launch the next
instruction (the next tool tip)...this could literally walk the user through
a project step by step. I REALLY liek Haunt's idea, and this would only
improve upon that. A feature like this would do to Blender what the unreal
editior did to Epic's unreal game engine! As always though, this is coming
from an artist whome has no idea how difficult this would be to impliment
into Blender. Not sure how one would go about creating the tutorial...maybe
like a record actions option...as you click each button you would be propmted
to add text to the tool tip otherwise it would default to something universal
like "click me". By customizing the tool tip, the tutorial author would be
allowed to give more of an explanation for what is about to happen and
perhaps recap on what just did happen. Man....the more I type about this the
more I like it. Anyways, let me know....maybe this has already been done
before.

Take care,

Cheers,
Landis