[Bf-funboard] colour theme preferences

Robert Wenzlaff bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 08:29:51 -0400

On Monday 06 October 2003 08:56 pm, Matt Ebb wrote:
> I dunno, I think the method for adjusting the colours as in tuhopuu is not
> bad (although it could do with a bit of polish, but that's no prob). As far
> as I can remember, Blender has never used external files for configuration
> - the .b.blend is used for that. I'd personally refer to keep things simple
> and consistent with the 'blender way' rather than expanding out too much
> into a billion hard to understand config files (linux users and /etc.. tsk
> tsk... :D)

Just because it's a separate text file, does not mean you have to edit it by
hand. Over 95% of those "billions of text files" in linux, are only edited by
the programs that use them.  But having them in text format is nice when you
manage to slip an error that keeps the app from opening into one.  (Is there
a way to edit Window's registry if you can only boot the machine to a
commandline?)

Dumping everything into the .B.blend does have one drawback.  Your configs are
an all-or-nothing affair.  If you mess up your .B.blend to the point Blender
freaks out when you open it (say you accidently set all colors to black, and
can't find the "default colors" button), then you have to delete your
.B.blend, and you loose all your paths,and any other info you saved in there,
too.
As Socrates once said:
               "I drank what?????"
Robert Wenzlaff        rwenzlaff@soylent-green.com