[Bf-funboard] Toolbox Design II

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:58:00 +0200

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 06:16:13PM +0200, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks! At first sight this looked good... but I don't get the design
> principles behind it, like:
>
> - what if we need more than 4 main categories?
> - do the menus have further sublevels?

If Object and Edit Mode items fit into 4 categories everything else shouldn't
need more than that. However my designs currently rely on the existance of
4 sections. While for radial menus up to 8 should work, the multibox will
loose effectivity.

There are 3 fixed categories Edit, Select and Transform.
And 1 depending on mode and selection: Properties or Mesh/Curve/Armature.

Everything that ends with ".." comes with an submenu. I want to have some
opinions/suggestions/backing before I proceed.

But I have to admit that I currently don't know how this relates to things
outside 3d views.

I would be very glad, if somebody who knows the other window types very well
could make lists of the commands accessible/needed there.

> I don't understend 'cross A' and 'B'. Is it a collapsed version?
> How then will typing wildcards work?
>
> -Ton-

Cross A and B are variations on an completely alternative toolbox. Well, the
basic organization stays the same.

I have to think about if/how the commandline will interact with the menu.
But propably typing letters will bring on a new box below the textcursor with
possible completions and the rest of the menu won't matter.

Things to talk about:
- Representation of commands that are currently not accessible. Of special
interest is the Copy-Menu.
- General organization of the toolbox and how that relates to the other menus
- Content and layout of submenus.
- How the commandline should work in detail.

---
Thorsten