[Bf-funboard] Toolbox and Menusystem

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 15:07:30 +0200

Hi!

I'm curently looking into what to put into context menus for
Object and Edit-MOde (3D View) from Matt Ebb's menu screenshots.

BTW: that was quite an undertaking, wasn't it? Impressive work.

Some suggestions for renaming things:

"Duplicate linked" -> "Create Instance" / "Clone"
Ok, won't fit to well to the shortcut, but "Duplicate linked"
just sounds strange and isn't easily understood.

"Make Single User" -> "Break Links", "Unlink", "Make Autark"
Because I'm the user and single!

"Copy Properties" -> "Transfer Properties"
So that nobody mixes up with the notorious Copy/Paste.
Besides, "Properties" is itself in the Copy-Menu.
Copy Properties > Properties seems strange.

I collected items that depend on more than 1 object beeing
selected:

- Join Objects
- Boolean Operation
- Copy Properties
- Track (Make, Clear)
- Parent (Make, Clear)
- Make Links

Hope that are all!?
These will show up in the toolbox in Object-Mode, but not
Edit-Mode. Therefore I think it's wise to group them together,
so that the whole group is there or not, instead of leaving
holes all over the place.

Luke brought up that those items should be accessible, even when
no appropiate selection has been made. And that helpfull error
messages should be used. I agree, but instead of
reporting error, messages advising the user to select other
objects should be implemented.

I noticed that Shear and Warp/Bend switch to Edit-Mode when used
from Object-Mode. That's confusing and should'nt be.

I guess that Shrink/Falten should behave the same way, but brings
on a message, asking "Clear Size?". It has no effect.
But it works out of Edit-Mode with all vertices selected, so it could
work in Object-Mode too.

I bring this on here, because therof depends if Shrink/Falten can
appear in the Toolbox for Object-Mode.

---
Thorsten