[Bf-funboard] Toolbox design

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:35:09 +0200

Hi,

> I think commands that don't work should also be included... e.g. if
> only one
> object is selected, I think commands like ctrl-t ("Track...") should
> still
> be shown, but then when the user selects it there is a helpful error
> message. That way the user can see that the command exists, and also
> what to
> do to make it work. If it was simply grayed out they mightn't know why
> it
> can't be accessed. (It could be darker than valid commands, but still
> be
> able to be selected, so that the helpful error message could appear)

Yah good point, it's a border case, and can be looked at per-case basis.

>> A toolbox for a IpoWindow will differ from 3DWindow. We even will have
>> one in ButtonsWindow, listing all options currently available there,
>> even when it's only the F4-F10 hotkeys.
>
> The thing is, that if a ButtonsWindow exists on the screen, then the
> F4-F10(?) hotkeys are available to alter it, even if the mouse active
> in
> another area of the screen. So I think that if that is the case, the
> commands for the buttons window should also be in the toolbox (if the
> buttons window exists).
> Also, if you're on the ButtonsWindow (or 3DWindow and maybe others?)
> and you
> press tab, it goes into editmode, even in the ButtonsWindow is
> maximized. So
> I think editmode (tab) could maybe be included if you are focussed on
> the
> ButtonsWindow (maybe even if the window is maximized, since the hotkey
> works
> then). Ctrl-tab also works if the ButtonsWindow is maximized. Ctrl-tab
> works
> if the IPOWindow is maximized too, but tab only has an effect if there
> is a
> selected IPO in the IPOWindow. Though ctrl-tab works when the
> ButtonsWindows
> and the IPOWindow (and probably other types) are maximized, I guess it
> isn't
> such a good idea to include them in the spacebar toolbox, since their
> effects can't immediately be seen by the user...

The things you mention here can all be reviewed... but currently
Blender maintains three sets of hotkey queues, in this order:

1. System & Screen commands
   (quit, fullscreen, etc)
2. Global hotkeys
   (Fkeys, TAB, etc)
3. Window hotkeys
   (per window its own queue handling)

For me it's open to reorganize a bit, also with 'context' and
consistancy in mind.

-Ton-