[Bf-funboard] Toolbox design

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 03:49:41 +1000

At the moment, if you're maximized, you can use ctrl-downarrow to stop it
being maximized. And if you're on a screen with no buttons window, you can
use ctrl-rightarrow. Then you can use F10 or click the display icon, then
click 16 and OSA if necessary. If someone is going to change the osa a lot,
they can just make sure they have the buttons there (or on a nearby screen),
ready to click.
If the spacebar menu just mainly had hotkey items (and also let you created
meshes, etc) this would be a quick way of accessing blender's
functionality... and you wouldn't even have to know how to spell the words.
And it would constantly be reminding you of the hotkey so that you could
avoid using the toolbox in the future. Your method doesn't teach people what
the hotkeys are so that they can avoid having to type out the name of
things.
It could have some speed advantages in some cases (e.g. the osa16 thing) but
I think there are quite a few problems with it. It means that every single
present function in blender would need to be added in, as well as every
future function...
I guess that feature (a little text field in the spacebar toolbox) wouldn't
affect how the toolbox menus work (by making the menus less accessible,
etc) - but perhaps the text field causes unnecessary clutter.... well if you
and others like that idea then it wouldn't be clutter as far as you're
concerned, but I doubt I'd find it very useful.
- Luke.