[Bf-funboard] Layers: alternative buttons

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:02:31 +0100

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 06:04:31PM +0100, Alexander Ewering wrote:

> Hello Thorsten,
>
> let me comment on the "Future Blender" ideas at the end of
> your proposal
>
> (http://wrstud.urz.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/en/blender_ui/layers/index.html)

Oh well, that was just me thinking aloud. To provoke thinking about new
aproaches.

> - Thinking of layers as saved selections or groups.
>
> Yah. Thinking. That doesn't need any coding, does it? :)

Sometimes using a new definition for an old thing leads to new ideas.
That's why I formulated it this way ;-)

> - Managing layers (selections of objects) and vertex groups (selection of
>   elements of a object) in a treeview.
>
> Could be easily accomplished by making OOPs show parent relationships.

Network schematic like OOPs is nice for some things, but a simple
treeview is easier to handle. I don't understand the point about showing
parent relationships.

> - Nodes of the tree can have options/parameters asigned to them. These are
>   inherited by the children. (Example: Assigning a material to all objects in
>   a group by assigning it only to the group object)
>
> Already possible with the SHIFT-G menu (select all children) and
> CTRL-C (Copy properties)

I know that. But how visible is it (before and afterward)?
And it was just one example. See, I try to come to the broadest possible
concepts to solve problems. Because it's better to have a small number
of concepts, but that are very powerful. There's a chapter about unification
in Raskin's Humane Interface that realy got me. It simplifies the
interface, makes learning easier and should also reduce the amount of coding
needed (allthough I guess that generalization/unification will often lead to
coders having to think harder).
OK, sometimes I might come to concepts and will have to think about the
problems that could be solved afterward :)

> - Organizing materials in a tree, of course with inheritance. (Easily create
>   color variations of a material and keep them all in sync.)
>
> I have never needed such an option, but well, it may be considerable.

Color variations of a material is exactly what I needed once. It got
me thinking how to best (and most generaly) solve the problem. I think
it's all about inheritance or linking of single options/parameters.

> - Use number keys for toggling things different from layer visibility, if
>   you like. That is, assigning shortcuts to options of the objects in the
>   treeview
>
> Appears a bit like overkill to me. Too many options with too little use.

I agree in that it could be something seldom used, and when used might be
confusing. On the other hand having 20 keyboard shortcuts tied to
layer visibility toggling is a bit extreme.

> - Filter/sort/organize: List all materials and see which objects have them
>   asigned. Sort objects alphabeticaly by name, independent from layers.
>
> Already possible by using databrowse / SHIFT-L->Materials

I meant a more filesystem like access, that is with filters/active queries
in a single place for easy access. I have to work out stuff like this,
so that I can explain in detail how it's supposed to work and where's
the advantage. But I included the future blender stuff because it
might lead others to think in the same directions, leading to different
results or faster results.

> - Select objects by attributes.
>
> What attributes? Already possible by:
>
>  - Layer membership
>  - Data block
>  - Material
>  - Texture
>  - IPO
>  - Parent relationship
>  - Children relationships

Cool.

> Just a few comments, should you have been unaware of some
> of the existing feautes ;-)

Thanks. This was certainly interesting.
And I'm still impressed with what Blender has to offer right now.

---
Thorsten