[Bf-funboard] Auto-subdivide

Jonathan Bartlett bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:07:53 -0800 (PST)

The new radiosity stuff is excellent!  However, it requires subdivinding
the models before rendering.  This can really slow down the modelling
phase if you wind up having to tweak your designs after subdividing.

I propose the following buttons for radiosity renders:

  * Auto-subdivide - if selected, it would activate the following slider:

  * Max Line Length - this would determine the maximum length of a line
before subdivision.  Basically, before rendering each frame, Blender would
follow each vertex and subdivide it if the distance between two vertices
were too great.  It would repeat this process until there were no vertices
above the max line length.

This would probably greatly increase the run-time of radiosity renders,
which is why I had it selectable.  However, it would make life worth
living for those of us using it :)

Jon