[Bf-funboard] Layer Manager proposal/mock-up / 20plus

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:44:15 +0100

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 03:35:54PM -0500, Paul Lunneberg wrote:
> Great idea!  Though I agree with William Reynish... A way should be devised to
> have more than 20 individual layers.

Are more than 20 layers relay needed? I mean, are there people around here,
who have used the maximum and felt the need for more?

If so, then I think there should be the known 20 layers only initialy.
With the option to add more. The 20 buttons/shortcuts would be a like
a scrollable cutout of all layers. There could be forward/backward
buttons close to the 20 layer buttons, much like the controls
for too many open tabs in browsers.

An other solution would be to have a table with all layers with a
fast_access checkbox. Up to 20 checked layers would be associated
with bottons/shortcuts.

Both possibilties wouldn't impact current style of layer usage.
To not have imediate access to all layers shouldn't be much
of a problem. You don't need so many layers all the time, and
to keep oversight of just 20 layers will be hard enough, even
with layers.

Other things:

The 20 buttons should indicate if the associated layer contains
anything, propably by change of color.

Ever thought about layer thumbnails?

And maybe a thing for Blender 3 (4,5?) or so:
Thinking of Layers as groups. With easy selection of whole
groups/layers for G/R/S opertaions. With inheritance
of parameters (like a material assigned to the groups overwrites
single objects material). Maybe somehow combined with parenting/
tracking. But you see, I have nothing concrete, it's more of a
vision :-)

---
Thorsten