[Bf-funboard] "Quit without saving changes?"/"Save changes?" popup...

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:48:40 +1000

Yeah, that would be easier to implement, but I think it would be more
annoying... I mean it would involve up to two pop-ups... the "Quit without
saving changes?" idea only involves one pop-up. (And this is how it is in
most other document programs)
I think the reason why blender currently says "Quit Blender?" is to try and
make sure the user has saved first. But this pop-up only seems to happen if
you use the "Q" hotkey.... if you use the main menu, or the "X" on the main
window or the "X" on the command window then it exits immediately.
So basically I think there should be no "Quit Blender?" pop-up, and a "Quit
without saving changes?" (or "Quit without saving changes to
documentname.blend?") if the hotkey, main menu or the "X"'s are used to
quit.
I don't think this would be much harder to implement than your suggestion. I
think the hardest part to implement would be to keep a track of whether any
changes have been made since the last save... either their would be a
boolean flag (e.g. "ChangedSinceLastSave") which is set to true every time
you modify the document, and set to false when you use save/save as. Also,
when you load or reopen a file it could tell you that the file hasn't been
saved yet... e.g. "Changes haven't been saved to documentname.blend!" (Or
"Save changes to documentname?" - which would be harder to implement)
Or if there was undo in blender, if save/saveas was recorded on the undo
list then when you quit it could just check to see if save/saveas was the
most recent thing on the undo list. Though save/saveas could be on the undo
list, you wouldn't be able to undo though....
- Luke