[Bf-funboard] "Quit without saving changes?"/"Save changes?" popup...

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:32:29 +1000

Hi,
I think Blender should be like practically all document-type programs that I
know of... I think it should make you confirm that you want to quit if the
document hasn't recently been saved. If the document is already saved then
it doesn't matter if you quit accidently. In Windows people might very
occassionally click the "X" instead of maximize (making Blender quit
immediately) or they might absent-mindedly quit without saving.

For the "Quit without saving changes?" pop-up, the options are "Yes" and
"No"....... or just "Ok" (I guess that would be more consistent with
blender). If any changes have been made (perhaps even including adjust the
views) then this thing would pop-up if you exit (using the hotkeys, or the
"X", or the menus). If no changes have been made since the last save then it
would exit immediately. It could be "Quit without saving?"... I'm not sure
which would be clearer (also taking non-native English speakers into
account)

Or there could be a "Save changes?" pop-up... the options could be "Yes",
"No", and "Cancel". Or to be clearer it could be "Save changes and quit",
"Quit without saving changes" [or "Quit without saving"] and "Cancel". If
"Yes" is chosen, if the document already has a filename, it saves over it
and exits. If it doesn't have a filename (it is a new document) then the
"save as" interface would appear and after you save it then the program
exits. The problem with this is that usually the "save as" pop-up in
programs is exclusive... but in blender it isn't... so the user might do
lots of other things while the "save as" interface is still visible then
click "save" and Blender would just quit. To be clearer, the "save" button
could be named "save and exit" (or "save and quit").... (though other
programs don't usually go to that trouble of being clear).

Also, the filename could be included in the popup....
e.g.
"Quit without saving changes to untitled.blend"
or
"Save changes to untitled.blend?" (this doesn't remind you that it will soon
exit, depending on your response)

- Luke.