[Bf-funboard] Re: Toolbox Flash 2

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:30:16 +0100

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:50:59AM +1100, Matt Ebb wrote:

> Particularly when the initial emphasis is placed on a directional
> system (even though it's not a true pie menu), it makes sense to
> continue that design idea throughout, rather than making the user learn
> rule after rule. So if people start dragging down toward the bottom
> right corner, they don't suddenly have to turn around 180 degrees and
> they can keep dragging in the same direction and make slight
> adjustments to their route to fold open submenus. I think it would feel
> much more comfortable this way, and would be a good idea to test.

For whatever reason I didn't think of it as changing rules.
Now, I'm convinced and will test it. But it will take some time
until I can create a new demo.

Advice on implementing menu delay, edge collision detection and
autoscrolling in Flash would be very welcome.

However, I like to point out two advantages of the current implementation
(since I didn't design it this way just following a mood):
1. Compactness, thereby reducing the need for relocation or autoscrolling.
2. The mousepointer will end out closer to it's initial position. Assuming
that the user will locate the mousepointer close to objects he's going to
manipulate most of the time, this might lower overall amount of mouse-movement.

---
Thorsten