[Bf-funboard] please Grab and don't move.

Joeri Kassenaar bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 09 Nov 2003 22:49:28 +0100

Examples can be bend any way

1.
if i'd say to you, move the book towards the light, so I can read it,
what would you do?
a. Turn it facing me?
b. Move it away from me towards the door?

2.
"He, didn't you move to NY?"
"Yes I scaled all my stuff down to fit in a car, placed them in my
another place, facing a diverent side."

I don't mind the grabber being called move/grab. I just don't know why.
I'm a 3d animator and I never "move" objects, not in my mind.

In my opinion there are two cases where to use move/rotate/size
In modeling and in animation.

In modeling I'm never "moving" an object.
I'm putting them in the right place, facing them the right way.
Or I put verteces on the right spot, it's not my fault blender adds them
where I don't want them, so I place them where they should be.

Now in animation you might think I move objects, but I don't.
When I'm 'moving' a car I try to think about it as driving a car.

I've seen alot of 'moving' being done in animations, and please stop it.

I'm not 'moving' a character, I'm trying to make it walk.
I'm not 'moving' verteces, I'm trying to make him smile.

I'm grabbing this vertex and put it on the right spot.
I'm grabbing this character and force it to walk.
Now where animating.

O, ... and I'm doing this in the 3d window, not in the IPO window.
Now why would people want to call that the Animation window?
I worked with blender for 7 years and never made any animation in the
IPO window. If you want to change it then I would suggest curve window,
although showing alot of curves that might be very obviuos.
I rather see the 3d window being the "animation editor".

 >If it were "Animation Editor" instead of "Ipo Editor",
 >people would understand in a second what it was for,
 >instead of taking them hours, days or even weeks
 >before they figure out what it is for. How can you not
 >see that it would be good?

Very weird argument. I would say "Curve editor" would make it more clear.

example to proof my point:
 >If it were "Animation program" instead of "Blender",
 >people would understand in a second what it was for,
 >instead of taking them hours, days or even weeks
 >before they figure out what it is for. How can you not
 >see that it would be good?

examples can be bend any way.