[Bf-funboard] Move?

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 14:59:13 +1000

> I tend to agree that people should expect to read documentation before
> being able to use a program as complex as a 3d anim program, but not to
> move something. That would tend to make people give up before they start.

According to some UI things I've read, it is better if interfaces are clear
and intuitive - i.e. the users don't need to rely on documentation in order
to learn all about the program. And a lot of the time people mightn't have
access to documentation (their internet connection mightn't be working,
etc)... and is makes things more productive if they can learn things within
blender rather than go and search through the documentation. Tooltips can
help clarify things within blender - maybe even in menus.

> It seems to me the option is between something that does what it says
> (move) & something which does slightly differently than it says (grab).
> Grabbing something is taking hold of it, & would be closest to 'selecting'
in
> computer terms.

It is currently "Grabber" though. I think "Grab" is still better than
"Grabber".

> 'Move' or 'Translate' would be more accurate english, which
> seems more professional.

"Translate" is an ambiguous word though - it can mean to convert the
language or format of something. I don't think a lot of the general public
would know that "translate" can mean move - particularly those who don't
know a lot of English. Most people would understand what "grab" and "move"
means though, and those words are fairly unambiguous. Also, "translate" is
longer to write on the screen.

So basically here are my preferences: (1 is highest)
1. "Move" or "Grab/Move" (the second one reflects the "g" hotkey)
2. "Move/Grab"
3. "Grabber" <- the current name
4. "Translate"

BTW, I working on a document that involves finding the optimal names in
blender.
I'll probably update it soon. (One factor I might add is that those without
poor English should be taken into account)
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~wenke/blender/blender-naming.htm

- Luke.