[Bf-funboard] Move?

William Reynish bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 00:32:04 +0100 (CET)

Hehe.. this is getting funny.

When I say to you "Move the chair over by the door,
please", what would you do?

a) turn the chair around

or

b) try to enlarge the chair

or

c) put the chair over by the door

I don't know what you would do, but I think most
people would choose c. Move, rotate and scale are by
no means at all weird. Rotate and Scale are just more
precise and correct words for "turn" and "size". The
words Move, Scale, Rotate are used averywhere in
maths, in coordinate systems, computer programs and so
on. Sometimes Translate is used instead of Move
though. It is a very very wide standard to use these
words,(As I said they are used very widely, and not
only in computer programs. Never mind what background
you have, you will understand these words)  and they
are more precise too. You can talk about a size of an
object (using the word "size" as a noun), but you
don't often (in correct english) say some thing like
"to size an object", using "size" as a verb. You would
say "to scale an object".

About Grab:

If I said "Please grab the chair" what would you do?

a)Move the chair to a different location

b)Rotate the chair around

c)Scale the chair

d)Pick up the chair in you hands

What would you do?