[Bf-funboard] Click/Press/Hold

William Reynish bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:09:59 +0100 (CET)

> Some issues/proposals (based on 2.3 preview):
>

> Click-hold menu action
> ----------------------
>
> The header menus allow "click-hold-release" action
> as well
> as "click-click". Same for the browser/dropdown-list
> widgets.
> That's a good thing!
>
> But the righ-click buttonswindow and window-edge
> only work
> with "click-click". And the Toolbox works both ways
> only
> with LMB.
>
> So I propose to allow both styles of action for all
> menus.

Agreed! That is a very good idea. I usually use the
click-click method for menus, but I know plenty of
people who use the click-hold-release method.

> And with both MBs and the SPACEBAR(!) for the
> Toolbox.

Actually it is like this right now. You just have to
hold down the mouse button for a second or so. The
trouble is, that you wont want to have it wait a
second - you want it to appear right when you click.

> Temporaray or sticky mode for keys
> ----------------------------------
>
> (Inspired by Softimage)
> Shortly pressing G, R, or S works like now.
>
> But it might be better to have pressing the same key
> again
> end the operation instead of resetting it. Resetting
> can be
> done with backspace, canceling with escape.
>
> Holding down a button enables temporary mode. The
> action
> ends with releasing the button. This will be very
> handy
> for things like translation over a short distance.
>

> Context-Trio
> ------------
>
> Use of LMB for selection.
> Use of RMB for 3d cursor (differing from William's
> proposal).
>
> LMB-hold to access a menu with selection and/or
> manipulation
> items.

That is quite a good idea. Not sure abou manipulation
items, but to have a quick menu for selection tools
(this will be particularily useful if we get a lasso
tool.) is a good idea.
However mapping it to LMB is not so good I think,
because it would make more sence to map boundbox to
LMB+hold. The selection box could be invoked with a
keyboard shortcut instead (of course they should be in
the menus too).

> RMB-hold to access some kind of Snap-menu.
>
> Spacebar to access full Toolbox.

snap is shift+s in the 3d window. I don't see why
particularily the Snap menu should be mapped to the
mouse buttons. It's not like it should be the first
thing you learn about when you try Blender

Please consider this:

In some areas in Blender you use rightclick for
accesing menus (like header options, and there are
others), so my proposal was mainly about making it
more consistant.

Current system:

In the 3D window you use space to open a menu with
options.
In the headers, buttonwindows and and window borders
you use rightclick.

Do you see some unconsistency? I do. I also see a
problem with the Text Editor, since you can't use
space for the toolbox in this window (obviousely
because spacbar is used for making a text space).

The most obvious and clever solution seems to me to
map the toolbox to RMB, and make everything simple and
consistant.

So that it looks like this:

LMB: selection  (LMB click+drag: boundbox selection)

MMB: view controls

RMB:Toolbox

I think it looks very simple and powerful.

Set 3D cursor could be ALT-LMB, or CTRL-LMB.

About Gestures:
I see three different possibilities about the
gestures:

1, The gestures are removed.

2, the gestures work while holding down a modyfier key

3, We incorporate a "gesture mode", invoked with a key
that lets drawing getures possible.

I prefer the first option really, but a few have said
thay have used it occasionally. Number two or three
maybe better.

> Mouse action customizability and menu engines
>
> Have some kind of menu-engines (think experimental
> Toolbox)
> that can be assigned to keys (including
> mousebuttons).
>
> The engines would process all input once active, to
> make it
> possible to have all kinds of menus or gesture
> input.
>
> This would allow all kinds of experimentation and
> might be
> a nice solution to adapt Blender to different input
> devices.
> But I have to admit that I fear it could work out to
> be a
> total mess.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think we can get too much
customizability too.

Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan