[Bf-funboard] Regarding the old grabber business

Martin Poirier bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:35:59 -0800 (PST)

I did a little statistical study asking people around
what they thought "grabber" meant in the context of a
3D graphic program if the entries "Rotate" and "Scale"
appeared in the same menu. I didn't even tell them
that those entries where in a menu called "Transform"
in a context menu related to 3D objects.

Please also bear in mind that all of those were
totally unknowledgeable in the field of 3D graphics
and that their primary language isn't english.

All of them guessed correctly that it was something
used to move (in the sense of translation) something
else.

Now, I don't want to say that "Translate" wouldn't be
clearer, but I think the argument that newbies cannot
understand "Grabber" at all is exagerating a lot.

Martin