[Bf-funboard] Large Blender UI improvement proposal

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 19:38:54 +0100

Hi,

Thanks! That's the kind of work I like to see more often. :)

My comments:

-> naming conventions
I stick with the opinion that this will need more study and
intelligence. Dropping 'ipo' and 'grabber' are the least of the naming
problems in Blender. Such names just add to the brand and personality.
All major 3d programs have naming weirdness, and none of these will
ever copy the conventions from others. I've got the Maya-3DS
translation sheet here, you'll be amazed to see how much differs.
I rather see efforts concentrated on consistancy in wording in general.

-> mouse remap
This is something I thought of as well... but better to make it
optional. Need still to decide on how to present such options, two
fixed presets? Let everyone assemble mapping with complete freedom?

-> headers
Doing vertical headers is not a proper solution for non-icon buttons
(numbers, names, layers, pulldown menus). One idea I had was playing
with an L-shape, where the horizontal part has the horizontal buttons,
and the vertical part the icons.
The other idea (from UI doc) is to have a floating 'toolbar', which can
have user-configurable all tools/options as also laid out in pulldown
menu system. For the buttonswindow we could use it as well.
Third idea was to double headers.... two bars vertically.

-> realtime buttons
No work on this happened yet... so it looks quite horrible now. Your
proposal looks quite better! I even hoped to be able to put sets of
sensors and actuators in movable Panels... will require quite some
coding still.

-> keys
We could even kill the old Key system... and make RVK standard. The old
system was not too useful, apart from some odd & very simple situations.
We still need a better & more clear method to indicate which Mesh (key)
is being in EditMode though (or how to select for editing).

-> text editor
Nothing changed here, just the menus were added!

-Ton-