[Bf-funboard] Feature suggestion: simple fix for faceselect-mode

James Kaufeldt bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:48:30 +0200

Here's my suggestion to make faceselectmode a bit more useful (for
UV-mapping - meshediting is another story).

Look at this picture first:
http://w1.480.telia.com/~u48033445/facefeature.gif

The idea is simply an improvement of how stuff is drawn in this mode.
- The mesh should be shaded.
- Selected faces are _filled_ with red, not just dot-lined
- The corresponding imagewindow shows _all_ faces, with the current
selection highlighted.

Optionally, it would help if selections made in the imagewindow are
transported to the 3D-view, highlighting the selected bits on the mesh.
Currently this only works one-way (mesh--->image not the other way around)

Further more, it would be very helpful if one could save
"selection-groups", just like vertexgroups, but stored as faces (it's
not the same thing) and recallable with a few clicks

And finally - the face-mode is by far the slooooowest thing in Blender.
Particularly notable on fairly large meshes. I bet it has to do with the
fact that this mode uses a lot of 2D-calls that are not accelerated by
most GPU's --- maybe it would be good if that could be changed to
something that runs smoother on "typical Blender-computers with standard
3D-cards"