[Bf-funboard] [feature suggestion]

Mike Norton bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:12:12 -0700

Just a couple off the top of my head.

I agree with Jean.  The interface is fine.  I especially like the tool tips
and use of the mouse wheel in navigation.

I do wish for more options for the rendering engine.  Blenders native engine
is great (good work Ton) but for some of the work I do I need to be able to
do more serious light modeling for architecture.  A better interface to
Lightflow, or Radiance would be nice.  The current scripts are very buggy at
best.  What would be nice is a rewrite of a good radiosity rendering engine.
To bad BMRT has not gone OPEN.

Another feature that would be nice is true volumetric particles.  Similar to
3D Max and LW.  Although I have to admit you can achieve some very cool
affects like in the short film "Mindfields".

Basically what I think needs to be worked on is making everything easier for
a user to create without a lot of tweaking.  Sure we can make a good looking
ocean.  It takes hours with lots of material and animation tweaks.  Where
our commercial heavy weights have plugins that make it wam, bam, thank you
mam, you got an ocean.  Little tweaking needed.

I will think of some more.  My focus is on end user and end result.  I am a
very poor programmer so I cant offer how to make it work, but I can give
suggestions on what would be cool.

Mike Norton
ManO